Thursday, August 23, 2007

Daily Routine

A lot of people ask us what our day is like with the girls - because the girls are changing constantly our routines also change and need to be flexible but in order to get things done in between feedings we have to plan our day in advance because if we don't before you know it you look back on the day and realize nothing got done.

Right now our routine is:
5:30 - 7:00am Girls wake up for first feed. It's usually 5:30-6:30 but once they did sleep in to 7am so I included it as I hope they will do it again. Right after the first feeding Ed and I shower and have breakfast while the girls play together in one of their cribs. If it's a work day, we pack-up the girls and walk Ed up to the Subway and I grab my morning Latte at Starbucks.
10am Time for the girls second breakfast. It typically takes me about an hour to feed both girls - they each take about 1/2hr.
11am-12pm The girls get play mat time while I check my email. After I've check my email - I give the girls some tummy time.
12pm -1pm The girls usually fall asleep on the mat and I take the opportunity to grab some lunch.
1pm The girls have their lunch.
2pm-4pm This is my time to get something done whether it's taking the girls out on Roncesvalles, update the blog, etc. The girls usually nap in the stroller.
4pm The girls have their afternoon meal.
5pm-7pm This time is usually the busiest as Ed comes home from work, we prep dinner, bath the girls, some more tummy time, Ed runs (and the girls and I go for a walk).
7pm The girls get their dinner.
8pm The girls bed time.
8:30pm Ed and I have our dinner.

For the most part this has been our routine for the past month. The girls are sleeping well at night - we don't need to give them a night feed but they do tend to wake up at times between 2am-3am not hungry just to play - we just sooth them back to sleep. But occasionally we have had the whole night uninterrupted.

Nap time right now is problematic - I haven't really established napping times or napping locations. I typically let them fall asleep where ever they are at that moment. And sometimes they don't fall asleep at all - or just one does. I do like it when one is asleep and I get to have one-on-one time with just one baby without having to worry about the other one.

The house is also starting to fill up with baby stuff. We try to keep it to one area downstairs but as we acquire more stuff it spreads out. We've been able to keep the third floor study and den baby free so we can retreat there in the evening when they are asleep. But we are starting to realize the house might be a bit small once they start to crawl. There are also areas that need to be modified to make them baby friendly and things packed way for bit unless we want them chewed on or banged on. But I think we have a little while before this happens so we're not panicking yet.

No comments: